The garden of the Royal Palace of Turin in Italy, was created together with the palaces of the ancient Savoy residence, and covered an area about five hectares and is now an oasis of nature in the heart of the city. Outlined in 1563, when Turin becomes the capital of the Savoy State, it was redesigned by the famous André Le Notre in 1697. In its layout there are four centuries of history, with related shapes and furnishings to the action of clients, designers and court artists: from the ancient pavilion of the Green Bastion (1587), to the monumental Tritons Fountain (1757), to rearrangement with sculptures eighteenth century occurred in Napoleonic era, up to the Boschetto (1836) and the modern north parterre with the garden of the bastions (1886-92). All these stages are subject of the research documented in the volume, pubished by Leo S. Olschki editor, promoted by Royal Museums and built by a group of scholars of the Polytechnic of Turin. In 1998 the Royal Garden of Turin was included in the Unesco list together to the system of the Savoy Residences and this book is the first monograph on the subject, structured in ten chapters.
In the first are described the founding events of the garden, the phase which gave it a clear Italian scheme, decorated with statues, fish ponds, caves, ducal baths. Than the refined eighteenth century with furnishings, sculptures, fountains, treillages and the years of the French Government, who created an imperial garden. Another chapter explores the restoration from the maintenance to the experiments conducted by Pelagio Palagi for Carlo Alberto. In the eighth chapter there is the royal garden from ‘Testimoniale’ of January 31st, 1877; in this study a table is reproduced where there is a description of the laying on the ground of tall trees with the quantity and current nomenclature, also follows the inventory of the bushes. The ninth chapter describes the organization of the greenhouses of garden and the botany collection. All the chapters are accompanied by an exhaustive iconographic apparatus. The botanical collection is documented by photos of rare flowers and by a table with the names of the plants grown in a warm greenhouse, and the existing quantity of each specimen. The tenth chapter treats the ancient bronze vases until the nineteenth century manufacture. The text then concludes with the pictures of the transformations that have occurred in Royal garden of Turin since its creation in 1563 when Turin became capital of the Savoy state in the early decades of the twentieth century.